Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Gilmore Girls: Life On The Streets

I have been entertaining myself by watching DVDs, alternating between the last season of Gilmore Girls -- which, honestly, now that it has been separated from the acrimony of Amy Sherman-Palladino's split from the show, is honestly not as bad as all that -- and the first season of The Wire.

I am not a fan of much of the original content HBO is known for: I thought The Sopranos was dull and heavy-handed (never been a fan of Mafia-tainment -- I haven't even seen The Godfather movies yet.), although it did inspire my idea for a show about the Gay Mafia: THE FALSETTOS! It was funny in 2002, believe me. I thought Six Feet Under was pretentious claptrap that thought it was much more fascinating than it ever was. Seriously, if I want to see miserable white people doing stupid things, I could just go visit my parents. ZING! And I think Sex & The City is well nigh unwatchable. (Flight of the Conchords is good, but that is the exception that proves the rule. Wait, what does that even mean? How does an exception prove the rule? Somebody please explain that to me!)

But The Wire is very good, with a distinct lack of bad acting, and with good scripts and all that. Naturally, I'm many years behind the curve on this one, but that means no waiting for new seasons. And it is nice to have Lorelai Gilmore back in my life.

No comments: