Monday, November 03, 2008

Hugging All the Babies, Kissing All the Ladies

I find myself longing for it to be Wednesday morning. I am not a fan of suspense.

While I am invested in a candidate (guess which one), I find myself skeptical that anything will really change, even if he wins. It's pervasive political pessimism -- I blame Nixon, because honestly, why not? In general, I try to approach elections like I approach dating: cautious, if optimistic. And after the last presidential election, I can't even muster the optimism. I am not a fan of disappointment, especially when the repercussions are so brutal and far-reaching.

In honor of tomorrow, I present what amounts to an Election Day carol:



Sing it with the rest of the family as you're watching election returns tomorrow!

I actually presented it in 2004, but I still love the song. What I said then:

This song always reminded me specifically of Clinton at his most beatific, but it can be applied most generally to any politician doing everything (s)he can to be elected into office... It's an awesome song, though. It's off the Young Americans album, and has a sort of spacey Philly International vibe, with Luther Vandross providing stellar back-up vocals.


Yes.

No comments: